Thursday, May 18, 2006

 

Chasing the Great Lakes Steamer John Duncan

In an earlier blog, I told the story, somewhat erroneously, that my great grandfather had served on a Great Lakes whaleback steamer, John Duncan, and that the family had photos of the boat sinking. In the last week, I have been to the Great Lakes Maritime Historical Center in the Milwaukee Public Library. I have learned a great deal about the vessel, my great grandfather, and the ships that he served on during his time on the lakes. I have also concluded that there is much to learn and that the result is going to be a book.
Among the items I discovered, with the invaluable help of librarian Suzette Lopez, are:
A copy of my great grandfather’s chief engineer’s license.
Images and details of the ships that he served on.
Details of where he and his family lived from 1904 until his death.
Biography of the vessel’s namesake, John Duncan of Green Bay.
Details of one of the several accidents that John Duncan experienced and the ship’s subsequent salvage and rebuilding.
A complete history of the ownership of the vessel from her delivery in 1891 until being sent to the ship breakers in the 1920s and other vessels owned and operated by the JD’s owners.
The life of a Great Lakes sailor.
An appreciation for the importance of shipping in the economic and social development of the mid-West and Great Lakes.
And this is just the beginning.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?