Tuesday, November 28, 2006

 

Why They Serve


I have a friend, nicknamed “Con”, who has enlisted in the Marine Corps as a rifleman. He recently graduated from high school and will soon complete his first semester of college. The completion of his second semester will be delayed as his ship to boot camp date is this winter, about the time the days in Alaska seem to get perceptibly longer. Some of his friends have already gone to service, others no doubt will follow, most will not.

We have had a few discussions about his choice of service and duty during the last couple of years. I taught Con the rudiments of boxing as an off season activity to help keep him in condition for football. He learned well. In between drills and after sparring we had a number of wide-ranging conversations. A little more than a year ago, he mentioned that he was thinking of going into the military. What little advice I could give him was largely abstract and intellectual. I have never served in the Armed Forces, much to the surprise of many who knew me as youth who were sure I would go Air Force or into Naval Aviation after nearly a decade in the USAF’s civilian auxiliary, the Civil Air Patrol. In the middle of a shooting war, people like me can’t begin to fathom what the ramification of that decision might be. Of late, I do seem to know several folks that have served in harm’s way, including a swimming coach just a few years younger than my half century. I did put Con in touch with a Marine I knew who had recently returned from his second tour in Iraq, but have never asked either the details of their conversation. Con told me he was enlisting as a rifleman. He figures if he is going to be a Marine, he is going to volunteer for the most emblematic assignment of what it means to be one.

Tonight I was at the health club where I have coached Con and others over the last few years. I ran into another high school student who has a passing familiarity with Con. He asked if I was still coaching. I mentioned that I was not, but that I did an occasional session with Con who is getting ready head out to boot camp soon. I was surprised at the kid’s reaction when he who shook his head and asked “why would he want to do something like that?” Now after my conversations with Con, I have a pretty good idea. My response to the question was that “because he wants to” and then paraphrased BD’s response from the accompanying Doonesbury cartoon which seems to say it all…"Look, we all make our choices...those of us who choose to serve don't demand that you share in our sense of duty...however, we do ask that you respect it--and respect the sacrifices we're willing to make for our country!"

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?